Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Jan 30 Pachacamac-Temple of the Sun


I know that I have gotten behind on my postings. I didn't have a camera with me this day, and have been waiting for Sofia to send me the photos, but she hasn't yet, so this image is borrowed from Wikimedia.

Most everyone immediatly jumps to Macchu Pichu when linking about Peru, but there are many other fascinating archeological sites as well. Today I went to Pachacama , the ruins of an ancient temple of the Sun, located about 25 miles from Lima. Pachacamac is a Quechua word meaningn "he who vitalizes the universe". The Huari Empire (AD 600-800) constructed the pyramids, and it was later absorbed by the Incas. Francisco Pizarro heard about Pachacamac while holding the Inca King Atahualpa prisoner at Cajamarca in 1532. He promptly sent an expedition to sack the center. The Spanish conquerors seized a large amount of silver and gold from the site and destroyed an idol. (The Columbia Encyclopedia. Copyright © 2001-08 Columbia ).
Another highlight of the day was an upclose encounter with the famous Peruvian hairless dog. (photo forthcoming). These little critters have very dry skin and need sunscreen. They are, terrible to say, so ugly that they are almost cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment