Friday, January 16, 2009

January 15-16-Arriving in Miraflores, Lima,Peru

I arrived late last night in Lima. I feel a bit like a refugee-arriving late at night, being picked up by a stranger( although of course i was carrying more than the usual IOM bag), taken to an apartment and being shown how to turn on the water and which keys were which. My host family consists of Sra. Clara and her daughter Roxana, a med student. There is also another student living here, Duan from China. I think I shocked him when I spoke to him in Mandarin.

Apparently the instructions on how to work the hot water didn't sink in, because I had a cold, quick shower this morning before Billi, the admin assistant from Nexos Voluntarios, picked me up and showed me how to get to the Nevo house. She gave me a walking tour of Miraflores, the pretty area in Lima in which I now reside. Later my Spanish teacher Veronica took me on a bus tour to Mt. San Cristobal, the highest point in Lima. Nevos is the volunteer matching agency that placed me with my internship site, Terre des Hommes. I will start with them on Monday in their juvenile restorative justice program.

I met the only other current volunteer, Sofia from Germany. She is half-Peruvian, as well. Apparently next week she and I will take lessons on playing the cajon, a big wooden box that I image is similar to a drum. Every week I will have a cultural activity along with Spanish classes.

Sra. Clara cooked me a lovely dinner of various vegetables that I can't identify, rice, and sopa de semolina. She has decided that the whole family will now be vegetarian. I am not sure how Duan will fell about that!

I don't know what I will do this weekend, other than walk around. I didn't have my camera with me today, so no pictures yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment